Tuesday 12 May 2015

Colouring is not just for kids...



Colouring is an activity that usually associated with children. As we grow older, we put aside our crayons and coloured pencils in favour of more ‘adult’ writing utensils like pens and highlighters. However as it turns out colouring has been proven to be very beneficial to adults by way of De-stressing the said person while they colour.

A friend who is very dear to me has been colouring for a while and I have to say when she first told me so I was like ok well each to their own, that is until last week when things happened to get a bit flustered the general vibe at work was not good and I needed something to calm myself, something that didn’t involve much thinking something quiet and simple… so I started colouring… and now I am hooked… it is incredibly calming and also stimulates brain areas related to motor skills, the senses and creativity..

One of the first psychologists to apply colouring as a relaxation technique was Carl G. Jüng in the early 20th century. He did this through mandalas: circular designs with concentric shapes similar to the Gothic churches’ rose windows. They have their origin in India. 

When colouring, we activate different areas of our two cerebral hemispheres the action involves both logic, by which we colour forms, and creativity, when mixing and matching colours. This incorporates the areas of the cerebral cortex involved in vision and fine motor skills. The relaxation that it provides lowers the activity of the amygdala, a basic part of our brain involved in controlling emotion that is affected by stress.

In short terms, colouring has a De-stressing effect because when we focus on a particular activity, we focus on it and not on our worries and takes us back to our childhood, a period in which we most certainly had a lot less stress.

There are colouring books available through Amazon but I found them quite expensive so I just print off the internet as I go and have found some lovely designs; at the moment I am using coloured fine liners but as much as I like them they do tend to streak and also run out quite quickly so I am fishing around for some coloured pencils, my kids ones are so out of sorts and all over the place, I actually have some copic markers lying around somewhere from college I should look…. Hmm

Anyhoo I highly recommend this, it may seem silly or even feel silly at first but I promise you that you will feel amazing afterwards, don't be fussed over colours or conform to typical norms just have fun and let the color flow....

Happy Colouring….



No comments:

Post a Comment