Thursday 29 October 2015

Blood Donor dissapointment

I am a proud blood donor.

My grandfather was a blood donor for many years, it is actually how he discovered he had cancer was through donating, my mother then proceeded to donate and still does and so when I was a teen I divided hat as soon as I could I would follow suite, it is an incredibly rewarding thing to do but for me it has also been a bit of a roller coaster at times...

Why, because even though I started trying to donate at the age of 18 I am now 27 and and have only managed to donate 7 times I think which i just crazy... basically the first time I tried I was rejected for low iron, the second time I was due to go I had found out I was pregnant then I had a c section and I was breastfeeding and so on and so forth it has gone most of the time the issue have been with either my iron or blood pressure which seems to be hereditary because my mom has also been rejected many time and ended up having to get iron transfusions in order to fix the issue.

However since I started donating post hysterectomy things have actually been great my iron and blood pressure have been awesome and I thought great it looks like my issues have settled themselves and there wouldn't be an issue again until on Tuesday I received a call to donate.

I wasnt feeling hundreds but I thought I was just tired and so I went to donate, they checked my iron and it was good 12.8 I sat down already to go and then the nurse checked my blood pressure, she looked at me, and then said I'm going to get another cuff... ah great.

She checked again and bleh 70/40 seriously how is that even possible, she said I couldn't donate that I would pass out if I did, she lectured me on eating and drinking well and I had actually eaten and drank so well that entire day so I left feeling a bit down and then as the evening proceeded I started to feel worse of course this heat wave we had on Tuesday didn't help and it got so bad that on Wednesday I had to stay home because I just couldn't I was so nauseous and had such a headache, bleh....

Oh well I'm feeling much better today now that its cooled down a bit but I am really sad I didn't manage to donate.

I cannot explain how important it is and how much 1 pint of blood can do for another person and I can tell you the nurses have told me time and time again as soon as that blood leave the building it is pretty much allocated and used post testing o course but basically the SA blood services is always in need and to be frank if you were ever in a situation where you needed blood you would hope that there would be some to give to you, it really is jut a beautiful thing to do and it is so close to my heart especially knowing that my grandfather and mother have done it and how many people you can help just by giving up 20 minutes of your time every other month and a pint of blood you wont even miss =)

Anyway I hope everyone has been having a good week, I have just been incredibly tired and not up to writing work has also been insane but I am hoping everything will start t settle out soon, Jesse has been quite difficult this week as I am trying to get more firm with him and I am trying to wean him from the boob completely which so far has not been a success, but we will get there and its Gabriel's Grade R Graduation tomorrow I just cannot believe or fathom how the time flies!

No comments:

Post a Comment