Monday 28 December 2015

Tired of Crime and living in fear

I am an avid true crime follower I love watching crime` and murder shows, following the stories the motives, my dad is the same and I have often been told by people that they cannot understand the morbid fascination behind this, I always joke and say well at least if a serial killer moves in next door I will know what to look for...

I laugh about this all but truth be told it is far from a laughing matter and the reality of crime particularly in this country is becoming closer and closer to home with several of my close friends and family including myself becoming the victim of various crimes, robbery, assault, attempted child kidnapping and most recently 2 people very near and dear to me were victims of an attempted hijacking and Goddess knows what else had it been allowed to play out, one of their family members was also shot earlier this year also in an attempted hijacking.... where does it all end

It has reached the point where I am to scared to take my kids out to most public places and I will definitely not take them out on my own...

Now I lived overseas, I know there is crime everywhere but I am so incredibly tired of living in fear, the worst thing is that I hate guns, I think guns are pure evil in a world where there is so much hate, guns are too easily attained by those with a clear history that shouldn't allow them to obtain them in the first place, besides that they can be so easily attained by the underage youth and anyone for that mater for the right price.

I don't believe guns have a place in the world, I do not believe that doing away with guns would solve crime issues completely but I do believe strong gun control would solve the majority of many issues...this all and the fact that in South Africa owning a gun puts you at more risk of being thrown in prison than the actual criminals means I will never own a gun or have one in my home.... hell be upon anyone who tries to harm my family though as I said I have watched so much true crime I can make a weapon out of a blunt spoon if I need to.

At the end of the day I unfortunately do not have the current resources to leave this country and even if I did I could never take my children due to their father... it is a harsh reality that starkly contrasts the beauty of the nature in which we are surrounded by in South Africa, it is incredibly heartbreaking to watch our country crumble around us but reality is never pancakes and roses and it is a reality I fear more of us will come to face as time goes on...it truly breaks my heart and I mourn for our beautiful country and my fellow South Africans... this is not the South Africa envisioned by so many who struggled and fought for equality and understanding....

How long will it take before we fight to take back that fight for freedom for equality and understanding before we realize that standing in unity is what will help us move forward for the good of all instead of for a single culture race or religion....


2 comments:

  1. It is not an easy time we are living in and I have always said "I don't live in fear, I am vigilant but not scared". While we were away now, we are staying in a small town, there is no crime here (my folk live here year round so I know). But one night I hear something and I am CONVINCED a gang of armed men are about to storm in any minute. I woke hubby up and if we had signal I may have called the cops! So clearly I do have fear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is heart breaking. Especially since the issues get dismissed from the top. I don't know how we can solve the problem but it is essential that we do so.
    We definitely need to start standing together against crime.

    ReplyDelete