Tuesday 8 December 2015

Age Restrictions and TV in general then and now





Growing up age restrictions when it came to both TV and movies were very relaxed in our household especially in my younger years and probably not for the better, by the time I was in school I had already seen the likes of IT and Candyman both of which have given me an extreme dislike and anxiety around clowns and mirrors... especially CLOWNS. I am an avid Horror buff but seriously, I even ran away from a clown at the age of 16 in a shopping center that’s how bad it was, as I got older it got to the point of me being able to watch pg 13 at 10, 16 at 13 and from 16 pretty much anything and if I ask my husband he says that he was pretty much allowed to watch anything he wanted growing up and would often watch age restricted movies way before the time of restriction…


Looking at TV today in general not only has TV become incredibly violent and over sexualised but so have cartoons and looking back it is not as if there were never sexual innuendos or adult humor in the older cartoons such as Loony Toons but now they are definitely more obvious and blatant and the worst thing is children are able to pick it up and understand it unlike before. Cartoon network for one is just horrid the garbage that is on that channel is just completely inappropriate for a child audience and is probably one of the reasons why we do not have an ariel connected to our TV and only allow the kids to watch downloaded movies or dvds that we have watched first.

The Gumball show is one of the most mindless things I have every wasted 5 minutes on...seriously 5 minutes I will NEVER get back


Having said that this past weekend I came home from a quick shopping trip to find the boys watching Jurassic Park, now whilst I was initially taken back I thought that the movie was PG rated as did my hubby hence him putting it on, so we decided to allow them to watch it under our supervision but told them if they got scared we would switch it off, we watched it together and that was that, until the boys told their dad and the whole thing blew up into a fight which hasn’t happened in a long while.

We sorted it out last night and have decided to stick to age restrictions last night after the boys psychologist recommended that we stick to anything non action or violence related in any shape or form even cartoons, that we stick to lighter happier things….

Of course I understand the reasoning and in hindsight I should have thought about it more at the time but it’s done, I just find the generation gap and the way things are different today so interesting as my ex pointed out we were allowed to watch things that we shouldn’t and we were both depressed and in my exes case violent children, at the same time I’m not sure it is healthy in my personal opinion to shield your kids from everything but I agree and trust what their doctors have to say and so from now we will just have to mind ourselves and stick to it.

How do you approach TV these days and age restrictions?

No comments:

Post a Comment