Thursday 28 May 2020

Homeschooling- Please think first



I have said it at least a dozen times on this platform and I will say it again I do not believe that education is a one size fits all thing, I do not believe that home-schooling is the better option or private schooling or government schooling, I believe that every child is different and that their education should be adapted to what will help them achieve their best form of themselves for some kids that may be conventional schooling for others maybe not.

I am writing this post after seeing the massive influx of moms in particular flocking to home-schooling pages wanting to pull their kids out of school and either home-school for good or temporarily and this is a huge concern for me as a parent who has literally been through every form of schooling and now has 2 children in a tutor centre and one who is home-schooled.

Listen to me clearly now DO YOUR RESEARCH, make INFORMED decisions, SPEAK TO YOUR CHILDREN – THEIR OPINIONS MATTER and lastly it isn’t as simple as just removing your child temporarily and quick stix registering with the department.

I am going through this myself with my eldest son at this very moment, first things first whilst they are accepting applications they are not processing applications currently, the process in general away from a pandemic can take up to 6 months and this includes a home visit to check that you meet the criteria of the department for a home-schooling environment, you also need to state in your application why it is you are wanting to home-school and need to supply a schedule as well as which curriculum/s you are using, the department does not have to accept your application or your reasoning and this whole process is why many home-schooling families choose not to register and to rather pay the Pestalozzi Trust for protection should the department come a knocking.

If you form part of the other side of the coin ie parents who want to remove their children temporarily please please PLEASE keep in mind that once you have removed your child you will need to re-apply for placement within the schooling system when you want them to go back; you are not guaranteed a placement just because your child was there beforehand, the schools are already overladen and the waiting lists are long think before you make a decision that you may regret in a few months’ time when this is all over, rather approach your child’s school to continue on with them whilst teaching your child from home yes you will be liable for school fees hopefully at a reduced rate but unless you are willing to fight in the long run I would suggest that you take this route.

Lastly as a member of home-schooling groups most not all but most are very quick to say it is easy, it is cheap anyone can do it etc, I will repeat what I have said before just because anyone can doesn’t mean anyone should and what may be feasible or make sense now may not be the most sensible decision long term and may not even be what your child wants or feels is best for their own well-being.

I am one of those parents who at a point believed anyone could and should home-school, it would be easy and wonderful and the best thing I could ever do for my child; it takes work and preparation and some form of structure especially if your child has special needs if you register with the department there are criteria that your child needs to meet and processes that need to be followed, there are many curriculum's to choose from and they can be expensive and again are not a one size fits all thing, if you plan on getting a tutor keep in mind they are costly and not always easy to find, you also need to ensure or keep in mind social interaction post the lock down period can you afford to enroll your child in extra mural activities or do you have a home-schooling support group or network in your surrounding area that you can join that will help you and help create a social network for your child…..

I know that I am far from an expert in the schooling field, I can only speak from my personal experience and I may garner a lot of flak for this post but this has been weighing on my mind for a while now already and I think people just need to keep in mind that every group will have an agenda and I don’t see it as intentional or even hurtful agenda but anti vaxers will always put their opinion first the same goes for those who cloth diaper or home-school anyone who feels strongly about a cause will of course embrace those who show an interest in or want to take up their cause again it is not with bad thought and I have absolutely nothing against the home-schooling community as I have received so much advice great and solid advice and help I just think people need to be more mindful because if they aren’t this in my opinion could do more to hurt the home-schooling community than help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment