Monday 4 April 2016

Keeping a wedding small when you have a LARGE Family

Last week we attended a family wedding, it was what I consider to be a large wedding, it was beautiful, everything was great and amazing, the groom joked about the size of our family, we are 9 cousins in total each with kids of our own, my dad was 1 of 5 etc so a family gathering for us is kinda manic, I will be quite honest and say it usually gives me a minor anxiety attack but over the years as I have gotten older I have learned to appreciate them because well family seems to grow ever more precious as you get older, at least for me it has.

Anyway it got me thinking about my weddings.

My first wedding, oi vey I remember the planning well, it gave me such a headache, I paid for the entire wedding bar the cake and flowers so you would think that people would have understood that I NEEDED to cut the guest list down, I refused children as well as partners unless we knew them or it was a longstanding relationship, it caused many fights and arguments and was just all in all unpleasant.

My argument is this, besides the financial side I did not want random people at my wedding, I wanted to share this day with people I valued and loved not with people I hardly knew or didn't like for lack of better wording.

Long story short it all went smoothly even though people came who didn't respond to their invites etc but ah well.

Then I divorced and several years later I decided to remarry, my hubby and I were both in agreement that we wanted to keep it as small as possible and this meant that we cut out pretty much all our family members bar our parents siblings and one or 2 others, we told hardly anyone that we were getting married, we got married at my parents house, we did all the decor and food, it was simple and small and wonderful, it was just amazing and everything I could have asked for.

At the end of the day we didn't really care if anyone got offended or was upset, it was our wedding, no one else paid for it and it was about us not anyone else, it was wonderful and I have no regrets, I cannot understand quite frankly in today's age why people would want to put themselves out by hundreds of thousands of rand's for one day but everyone is different and if that is what someone elses dream wedding entails then more power to them, however I cannot stress enough that if a small intimate wedding is something you want then stick to your guns and do it, its not about anyone else and you have nothing to prove, if people really care they will understand.

Thats my 2 cents, I hope everyone has a great Monday =)

No comments:

Post a Comment