Thursday 16 April 2015

co- sleeping, sleeping through and conquering the sleep battle



On Sunday evening, my mom and I were discussing something I cannot remember exactly what but I mentioned Jesse is a restless sleeper at night etc and my mom just about did a double whammy off her chair…


 

Why is he is your bed and not in his cot came with a questioning stare.



Yes we still co-sleep, well we have pretty much since Jesse’s birth, now with Gabriel I was very quick to say he needed to go into his bed from day 1 after fighting Loghan tooth and nail because he refused to sleep in his own bed at 2 and a half, but when Jesse came along well he was either sick, or had reflux or colic or sleep apnoea there has always been something that made us keep in in our bed for our own sanity as well as our piece of mind knowing he was safe and right beside us if he needed something also since I breast feed it made that easier…

When Jesse had his surgery he did sleep better but still not nearly through the night he would wake often for a cuddle or boob and it just go to the point where we put him in our bed again, in all honesty if I had known I would never have invested in a cot let alone an expensive one because it has hardly been used, but that is ok really it is…. I love co sleeping, even with Jesse being such a restless sleeper I just love having him with us knowing that he is there happy and content and he sleeps through now, Glorious sleep where have you been for the last 18 months, instead of dreading bedtime at night I now look forward to it knowing I’m going to get a good nights sleep in (yes ladies your child will eventually sleep through), I love it and like it or not I am not going to change it in the near future unless Jesse wants to, he is still a baby and the last baby I will ever have, I want to enjoy this time while I still have it because they just grow up so fast…



I went into the boys room last night and kissed them on the cheek as they slept and thought where has the time gone- it feels like yesterday they were new-borns in my arms and now they are on their way to being young men, it breaks my heart as I am sure it does every mom to think of what you would have done differently with your previous kids if you had known or treated them like your last… to watch them grow is so bitter sweet you wish you could capture every sweet and beautiful moment…



I don't believe in letting my babies cry themselves to sleep or leaving them to self soothe until the eventually figure out you are not coming and fall asleep, some children are great with sleeping on their own Gabriel was he would fall asleep with a bottle I could put him down and out like a light, Loghan only slept on his own from  a year or so and was also not the best sleeper we had to lie with him till he fell asleep but we did it, every child is different, Jesse is happier in our bed for now and we can all get a good nights sleep yay.

It’s different when you know it is your last pregnancy, your last baby your last chance to do things the way you believe is best, the last chance to try different things and the last chance to see them grow and hold onto those precious moments…

Co sleeping, breastfeeding etc it’s not for everyone I understand that but it works for us and for me these things have just made this journey… my last journey so incredible… I love being in love with my kids, I love being a mom and watching them grow, I love them more than they will ever understand or I could ever explain…

No comments:

Post a Comment